Select Page

An experienced nurse attorney has surely helped a lot of RNs and LVNs when it comes to cases that may lead toward disciplinary action. Unfortunately, not all nurses were able to hire a nurse attorney as they underwent such cases. This incident that an RN committed on December 1, 2017, was one of those examples.

On or about the said date, the RN failed to document that Chlorhexidine gluconate (CHG) bath was performed for a patient. The ADL I Hygiene Flowsheet requiring documentation that personal care was provided to the patient when ordered by the physician, was left blank, noting the CHG bath was not given to the patient. Her conduct resulted in an incomplete medical record.

Subsequently, on the said date, she also failed to properly label the lab specimen for the patient. When scanning labels for the lab specimens, the RN did not realize there were separate patients and placed labels with only one patient’s information on both specimens.  Subsequently, all lab specimens were re-drawn for both patients.

Her conduct exposed the patient to a risk of injury from inaccurate lab results and risk of infection and harm from unnecessary venipunctures to re-draw blood specimens.

The Texas Board of Nursing has full jurisdiction over all cases regarding errors committed by an RN or LVN. Thus, she was called by the Board to defend against the case. She admits and takes responsibility for her errors, lack of attention to details, and follow up on her documentation.

The following incident and defense against the case caused the Texas Board of Nursing to place the RN and her license into disciplinary proceedings. She would have sought assistance from a good nurse attorney to provide clarifications towards the case.

If you’ve ever done any errors during your shift as an RN or LVN, and you wish to preserve your career and your license, an experienced nurse attorney is what you need. Nurse Attorney Yong J. An, an experienced nurse lawyer for various licensing cases for 14 years, can assist you by contacting him at (832) 428-5679.